Childhood memories of reciting English Poems

I had my schooling at  Kendriya Vidyalaya-No 1, Hubli. Hubli is a town in Northern Karnataka which comes under Dharwad District. Dharwad is quite famous for Literary and music. Famous Hindustani Musicians like Sri Bhimasen Joshi, Smt. Gangubhai Hanagal, Sri  Mallikarjun Mansoor, D.R.Bendre, Girish Karnard and myself all belong to Dharwad. Dharwad also famous for sweet called "Pedha" and also known as educational centre. Hubli is a business center.

Well, back to school days. Co -Curricular Activity - CCA period was held every Friday with lots of competitions conducted like Recitation of English/ Hindi /Sanskrit Poems, Storytelling, Shlokas, and so on. The condition would be that no poems from the school textbook were allowed in  the recitation competition.
Though the competition was open for all, not many would participate-they would say they are stuck by "stage fear"!!!!!

 It would my mother's job to search for good poems, stories and prepare me and my brother for the competition. My mother would take great pain in collecting poems that would appear in newspapers, English magazines and so on and train me.  She would prepare me to the extent that I won prizes in all the competitions. I remember well, there was a complaint that all the prizes were won by me. So, when I came to class V they saw that I would get either one or none. (I don't know who complained, anyway, this at least encouraged and made a compulsory rule that all students must participate).

Today, while cleaning my cupboard, I got two notebook papers with two poems that my mother had copied from some English Book or magazine. My mother has a good handwriting unlike me.

I thought I should share these poems with you all.




Two such poems were-"Junglee Bee" and "One big Spider"-Sorry I don't remember the authors name.

The poems are:

Junglee Bee

Junglee Bee and JungleeBum
Brought a very loud drum,
Bom-Bom-Bom--it went,
Bom-Bom-Bom

JungleeBee and JungleeBum
were very happy with their drum,
Bom-Bom-Bom--it went
Bom-Bom-Bom

JungleeBee and Junglee Bum
Made such a loud noise,
All the neighbours said, we don't like
those naughty boys
Bom-Bom-Bom--it went
Bom-bom-Bom

JungleeBee and JungleeBum
Played so much that, they broke the drum
Bip-Bip Bip--it goes
Bip-Bip-Bip.


I like the One big spider as it goes with count and other insects names are also there.

One Big Spider

One big spider
Ate two flies.
Three gay Mynahs,
Heard them cry,
Four brown Moths went
Flying high,
Five red Beettles went
Creeping by,
Six hunter Ants saw
the spider try
Seven Mosquitoes
as a spicy fry,
Eight Sparrows saw him
eat them dry,
Nine Crickets heard him
burp and sigh,
While Ten Bees buzzed
"what a greedy guy".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Panduga Sayanna-The Robinhood of Telangana

Tamasha Folk Theatre of Maharashtra

Oggu Katha - Oral Storytelling Theatrical Performance of Telangana