Have you seen your Great Grand Parents?



Who are Great Grand Parents?

Simple definition says- A simple definition says-'Parents of your Grand Parents"

One afternoon in 1990-1991 (I don't remember the month exactly) we received a letter from my cousin Jai (Jayashree Akka- we all love calling her Jai) stating that next morning she will be arriving at my place along with her sons and her mother. Her mother is my paternal aunt (Father's Sister-we call Athai).

All these years she had no plans of visiting us, and all of a sudden she planned to visit-without any purpose?  I realized, after going through the letter  that her purpose of the visit was to show her kids our grandparents-who are their Great Grandparents.

It was in Bharath's Class that the class Teacher asked them:

"Have seen your Great Grand Parents?"

And only two- three students put their hands up and they were declared as the most LUCKIEST Children in the class.

Back home when Bharath shared this with Jai and Jai was upset that Bharath did not put up his hands as he too is the Lucky Child and has Great Grand Parents.

The Bharath's reply was that-'Amma you did not tell me about our Great Grand Parents nor ever show their pictures to them".Great Grand Parents are called "Kolu Thatha -Patti" in Tamil

Jai was moved and decided to make a trip to Hubli to show Bahrath and her younger brother Prashath their Great Grand Parents. By then my grandfather was around 95+ and would not move and was glued to the cot. Yes with a support stick and grandma help he would walk and attend to his daily chores.

They spend a couple of days and returned back to Hyderabad. Bharath did share this with his teachers and friends.

I am also very lucky to have seen my Great Grand Mother (Mother's Grand Mother). This Great Grand Mother was fortune enough to see her Great Great Grand Son too (Fifth generation). She became "Yellu Patti". This is how Great Great Great Grandmother is called in Tamil.

"Now my Seetha Attai's status has uploaded as a Great Grand Mother too. She is Great Grandmother to Bharath's baby Amogh"

I am moved by when I see or hear about Four-Five generations. Recently I read about Zohra Sehgal - 100+ leaving Great Grand Mother. May God Bless Her!!!

Similarly, I encountered in one of my Professor's houses-My professor's Mother-in-law who is 80+. I took a picture of her and her Great great daughter "Tuppi-Topi". As both professor and his wife are related to each other prior to their marriage. In one way of viewing the relation-Professor's wife becomes grand daughter-so "Tuppi-Topi" Professor's grand daughter is this old lady's Great Great Grand Daughter"-- Five generations!!! Ooh La La!!!!


This is the picture of Tuppi-Topi with her Great Grand Mother





 In this picture Tuppi with her Grand mother (Maternal) and Great Grand Mother

We have moved away from Joint Family to Nuclear to No Clear families. It sounds like once upon a time story kind- where all the four-Five generations would live under one roof. Today no roof and no proof of who belongs to whom.--Sad but hard truth!!!




In this picture my  Paternal grandmother in the center with my son when he was four months old. Left extreme is my In-Laws and right extreme my parents. My  brother-third in number elder brother and my cousin are also seen. I had taken this picture so I am not seen in the picture. So, in this way my grandmother was fortunate enough to see more than eight Great Grand Children.




In the above pictures you can see Pic1 My Grand Parents -Bharath Prashanth Great Grand Parents in the centre, My father in between Bharath and Prashanth, My Mother next to my Grand mother, along with my cousin Jai at Rt extreme and My Athai (Paternal Aunt) at Lf extreme. This was taken at 42/B Gadag road Railway Quarters, Hubli.

The next picture is with Grand Parents - Great Grand Parents my brothers, Jai, little Bharath and Prashath and me.

I am sure I shall not be that fortunate to see my Great grand Children. I don't know about my Grand Children!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Comments

I recently happened to get to know a good friend of mine. We were neighbours for long. My friend whom I call "Hemakka" is a proud grandmother of twins grandsons making her mother "Indira Mami" a great grand mother and her grand mother who is around 98 years or so Great Great Grand mother. Good to see five generation series.

Popular posts from this blog

Panduga Sayanna-The Robinhood of Telangana

Tamasha Folk Theatre of Maharashtra

Oggu Katha - Oral Storytelling Theatrical Performance of Telangana