Why This Kolaveri, Kolaveri .. Di-- SOup SOng



I started getting calls to know the meaning of '--Kolaveri. Kolaveri being a Tamil word. It is composition of two word-'Kolai' and 'veri'. Kilao means to kill and veri means-range. Kolaveri means Killing range or murderous range. I was surprise that why people are calling me to just know the meaning of kolaveri.. I asked my little champ and he said it the new Soup song sung by Tamil actor Dhanush.He said it is also the song of the year and started humming Why this Kolaveri Kolaveri di...?

My curiosity to listen to this song did not grew, until I started to see that right from Abdul bhai,- the vegetable vendor, Suresh babu-newspaper boy, then Yadva Reddy Insurance agent, vasanthalaxmi laundry lady to Mangamma flower selle. Mangamma is quite old to sing this, but yet she sang climbing up and climbing down the staircase of our apartment. This perhaps acted as mantra for her... I don't know. Then at work place Praveen asked me with the same question. Oh!God! Forgive me for not amswering. Then the morning hours wasted in discussing about the song, lyrics, actor and his voice. All had some thing or the other thing to point out negatively, at the end all were singing it literally.

Then I also made up my mind to listen to it once,mean while, my mother came in to share the most urgent and important news with me. I thought it was some family matter, but no!! It was this kolaveri again. God save me, save me, I haven't listen to it and before I do it my Kolaveri is increasing.

When clicked on you tube, I was taken a back for 30,594,976 viewers for this kolaveri. By the time I post this on my blog the number would have increased for sure. At first, it did not impress me, except for the good nadaswaram played in between.The song was officially released on 16 November 2011, and it instantly became viral on social networking sites for its quirky "Tanglish"-mixture of Tamil and English lyrics. Now, I see that this has moved from "Telgalish"-Telugu version, "Kanndalish"-Kannada version, "Punjlish"- Punjabi version. I again with causal search encountered that this so called Soup song is now in French and Japanese too. Any other foreign languages too? Probably yes!

One could also find different versions like Female version, Chipmunk version, Akon, Chinese, and so on. One would also find the littloe son of singer Sonu Nigam singing this song.

The phenomenon of 2011 called 'Kolaveri di' appearing in newspaper and discussing it on other electronic media too.

Why a soup song?- Is is again meaning the 'Soup' is a everyday Tamil word which means to men (young men)experiencing failure in their romance or first love? I don't know!!! Again, now don't ask me what has "APPETIZER to do with LOVE". May be we all make a good start with appetizer and end up eating too heavy and fatty food, So is with the young men love relation too, that starts with a great kick and ends at the cross roads calling it 'Kolaveri' or due to the expression in English-'You are in SOUP'.

If Young women experiencing the same would call it "Moor song". Moor- buttermilk or something like that in Tamil, as fresh buttermilk tastes good and eventually it turns to be sour due to lactic bacteria. This also happens in lavaria.

I could understand that mixture of native and English in lyrics helps in popularizing the song, and use of minimal native instruments and set to simple humming tune gets it catchy.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh invited Dhanush, for the dinner party along with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, in his New Delhi residence, India.
The song was named the Best Song of 2011 by CNN.

Good news to all those who like to try a hand in singing. You need a below average voice and voice range to sing, pen down some catchy lyrics and set to folk tune.. It will work. Be optimistic!!!

Now wonder WHY THIS KOLAVERI KOLAVERI...DI!!!

Comments

T.Rangarajan said…
The reference of "Why this Kolavari Kolavari Di" can be traced from Mahabharata. After the war and Kauravas defeat, Ashwatama who had the vengence agaist the Pandavas used Narayana Astram or some even call it as Brahma Sheer Astram to kill all the Pandavas. There is no counter astram for this Narayana Astram except folding hands and surrendering oneself to Narayana. So this Astram went in the direction of Uttara who was carrying parishikt in her womb when Abhimanyu was mercilessly and unfairly slain by the Kauravas. She is saved by Lord Krishna who stopped the astra entering into uttaras womb and redirected back to Aswatama. Krishna lost his temper on the revenageful attitude of Ashwatama to kill all Pandavas including the unborn baby. So, before cursing Ashwatama he asked him " Why this Kolavari?"
Then finally Krishna cursed Aswatama "he will carry the burden of all people's sins on his shoulders and will roam alone like a ghost without getting any love and courtesy till the end of Kaliyuga; He will have neither any hospitality nor any accommodation; He will be in total isolation from mankind and society; His body will suffer from a host of incurable diseases forming sores and ulcers that would never heal". One more Version also says that his hands were burnt by the redirected Narayana Astram. So he is also know as Daggad Hastam who when touches anything that would burn into ash.

So, Kolavari Kolavari is old version retold by Dhanush again meaning Bow.

Popular posts from this blog

Panduga Sayanna-The Robinhood of Telangana

Tamasha Folk Theatre of Maharashtra

Oggu Katha - Oral Storytelling Theatrical Performance of Telangana